Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskiy has introduced his name for assist towards Russia’s invasion to the Group of Seven (G7) summit in Japan, the place leaders agreed to tighten sanctions towards Moscow and pare again publicity to China.
* G7 leaders outlined a shared method in the direction of China, trying to “de-risk, not decouple” financial engagement with a rustic considered the manufacturing unit of the world. The G7 is trying to bridge an enormous hole with rising economies within the “International South” by specializing in infrastructure and debt aid, officers say, a part of a method to blunt China’s affect in lower-income nations.
* US President Joe Biden and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida have mentioned methods to strengthen defence co-operation and counter coercive behaviour by China, the White Home mentioned.
* China is gravely involved about latest indicators of “unfavorable” China-related strikes on the G7 summit and urges Japan to not flip it right into a “political present” towards or to curb China, the nation’s embassy in Japan mentioned. Its embassy in London warned any phrases or deeds harming China’s pursuits could be met with “agency and resolute countermeasures”.
* G7 leaders mentioned that they had ensured Ukraine had the funds assist it wants for this yr and early 2024. “At present we’re taking new steps to make sure that Russia’s unlawful aggression towards the sovereign state of Ukraine fails and to assist the Ukrainian individuals of their quest for a simply peace rooted in respect for worldwide regulation,” they mentioned in a press release.
* The US introduced sanctions on greater than 300 targets, aiming to punish Russia for its invasion of Ukraine and intensifying one of many harshest sanctions efforts ever carried out.
* Through the summit, US President Joe Biden will announce a $US375 million ($A564 million) army help package deal for Ukraine that features artillery, ammunition and HIMARS rocket launchers, a US official mentioned.
* Biden knowledgeable G7 leaders that Washington would assist a joint effort with allies to coach Ukrainian pilots on F-16 fighter jets, CNN reported, citing a senior US administration official.
* German Chancellor Olaf Scholz mentioned his authorities needed pragmatic measures to forestall the circumvention of sanctions imposed on Russia.
* Britain printed plans to ban imports of Russian diamonds, copper, aluminium and nickel and introduced a brand new wave of sanctions towards Russia, focusing on corporations linked to the alleged theft of Ukrainian grain.
* Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet Zelenskiy on the sidelines of the G7 summit, India’s international ministry mentioned, their first assembly since Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022.
* G7 leaders referred to as on all contributors of the Black Sea grain deal “to proceed and totally implement its clean operation at its most potential and for so long as crucial”, it mentioned in a press release.
ECONOMY, CLIMATE, NUCLEAR PROLIFERATION
* G7 leaders agreed on an initiative to counter “financial coercion”, pledging motion to make sure any actors making an attempt to weaponise financial dependence would fail and face penalties.
* The G7 referred to as for the event and adoption of worldwide technical requirements for “reliable” synthetic intelligence (AI) as lawmakers of the wealthy nations give attention to the brand new expertise.
* G7 leaders reaffirmed their dedication to a extremely decarbonised highway sector by 2030 and dedicated to the purpose of attaining net-zero emissions on roads by 2050.
* The G7 should take the lead in phasing out fossil fuels, the leaders of seven nations together with the Netherlands and Chile mentioned, making an attempt to construct momentum for a world deal this yr to regularly stop oil, coal and fuel.
* The G7 believes publicly supported funding within the fuel sector might be quickly applicable whereas nations are accelerating the phasing-out of their dependency on Russia, a draft communique seen by Reuters confirmed.
* Leaders of the G7 referred to as for a “world with out nuclear weapons”, urging Russia, Iran, China and North Korea to stop nuclear escalation and embrace non-proliferation, a press release launched by the White Home confirmed.
Australian Related Press